Making "Madeleine" is much faster and easier also it can be kept for a day or two.
60g - melted butter
1- large egg
50g - caster sugar
50g - plain white flour
½ tsp - baking powder
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190C or gas mark 5.
- Use some of the melted butter to grease the Madeleine pan, If you are not using a non stick mould.
- Whisk the egg and caster sugar until the mixture is very thick till it gets to a ribbon stage.
- Sift the flour and baking powder on to the egg mixture and fold in gently the fold in the melted butter.
- Fill each mould three quarters full and bake for 7-8 minute.
You can also turn it into a dessert. Soaking it in rum and sugar syrup, resting it on a baking rack to drain excess syrup ( The same way you finish Rum Babas). When dessert is drained, slice into the Madeleine half way and pipe in whipped double cream, into the Madeleine and dust it with icing sugar or serve with fresh mixed berries or fruit of the forest.
But for breakfast, serve with bacon, eggs, sausages and we have a special family sauce we eat every Saturday. That i will never talk about again!